I built Sage from source in virtual machine running ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

When I try to build the reference manual and look at it, I get a [Math
Processing Error] everywhere that there should be text formatted in tex math
mode. I've tried doing a hard refresh (see
http://meta.math.stackexchange.com/questions/3627/why-is-math-processing-error-all-over-the-place-today)
 to no avail.

I have noticed that a message flashes briefly on the bottom of the screen as
the documentation loads. It says:

 File failed to load:
file:///home/khalasz/sage-5.10/devel/sage-main/doc/output/html/en/reference/groups/_static/fonts/HTML-CSS/TeX/png/imagedata.js

I have looked, and noticed that no such file exists in my sage directory.

I have tried the commands (from the directory ~/sage/devel/sage)

(1) ../../sage -docbuild --mathjax reference html
    ../../sage -docbuild --jsmath reference html
    ../../sage -docbuild -j reference html

all of which gave output that implied nothing was wrong

(2)  ../../sage -docbuild reference latex

the last three lines of output here were :
[reference] writing... done
[reference] copying TeX support files... done
[reference] build succeeded, 11 warnings.
the warnings worried me, but scrolling through the rest of the output, it
seemed that none of them were related to .../reference/groups/_static

(3) ../../sage -docbuild reference/groups/_static/fonts/HTML-CSS/TeX/png latex

which gave the output
[png      ] Error: Source directory doesn't contain conf.py file.
which I can't make sense of, as I found several files named conf.py in the
Sage-5.10 folder.

Any ideas about what could be wrong here would be much appreciated