hmm. This is quite perplexing. My browser was already rendering math as
HTML-CCS. I may be wrong, but it seems as though, as these documents are
auto-generated by Sphinx, the problem is not with anything in my sage
directory, but rather with Sphinx. If this is wrong, please let me know.
I'm going to explore Sphinx and how it is used in Sage, but if you or
anybody else has knowledge either of how Sphinx works or how it interacts
with Sage, and is capable of pointing me in the right direction, or seeing
a clear solution to the problem, I would be very grateful.

Anyway, P Purkayastha, thanks for the helpful ideas you've given me so far.
All advice is greatly appreciated.