Neither of these is "strange", this is perfectly normal behaviour and
output for a 2-descent.  It gives lower and upper bounds for the rank,
and these may not be equal.  Specifically, they will differ by (at
least) the 2-rank of the Tate-Shafarevich group (Sha) of the curve.
2-descent by itself is not sufficient to determine the rank of all
elliptic curves, though it does work for many (specifically, those for
which Sha has no elements of order 2 and none of the curve's
generators is too large (since some point-searching on the associated
homogeneous spaces is carried out to actually find points).

Secondly, the output of E.simon_two_descent() is supposed to be
filtered so that the points listed are independent modulo torsion;
2-descent itself should give points which are independent in E/2E but
that can still include torsion points.

John