On Thursday, May 8, 2014 4:14:32 PM UTC-7, William wrote:

> I could be wrong, but I don't think the implementation of Baum-Welch
> is wrong.  The BM algorithm [1] using double precision numbers (which
> is all the HMM algorithm in Sage uses) can lead to overflow, given the
> sort of computations that are involved.

Thanks for the reply!

My understanding is that it's underflow that's more common with HMM stuff,
due to all the products of small probabilities running around.  In some
implementations I've seen this handled by the logsumexp
trick:
http://machineintelligence.tumblr.com/post/4998477107/the-log-sum-exp-trick

Also in the Rabiner tutorial there's a section on scaling where he talks
about underflow and how to handle it.  that's on page 16 (272)
here:
http://people.sabanciuniv.edu/berrin/cs512/reading/rabiner-tutorial-on-hmm.pdf

Do you recall if you handled the underflow problem in your implementation?
 I haven't studied the code yet, but it seems like this could be the
culprit.