On Thursday, May 8, 2014 5:59:10 PM UTC-7, William wrote:

> > Do you recall if you handled the underflow problem in your
> implementation?
>
> I believe it does not.
>
> > I haven't studied the code yet, but it seems like this could be the
> culprit.
>
> I think you're right.  You should implement it!

I had a look at the code an it appears that it *is* already handling the
underflow problem.

The scaling factors are computed in _forward_scale_all() and used in both
_forward_scale_all() and _backward_scale_all().  Also _viterbi_scale() is
using log probabilities to avoid underflow in products of small
probabilities.

So I need to dig deeper.  btw I am new to both sage and cython.  I am eager
to find the cause and fix this though.  So here's my question:

If I make a change to hmm.pyx, how do I get sage to pick up that change
without having to rebuild all of sage from source? (that took a few hours).

I read here that I can "attach" a .pyx file which should force a cython
recompilation of hte file whenever the .pyx file is changed.  Is that
right?
http://www.sagemath.org/doc/developer/coding_in_cython.html#attaching-or-loading-spyx-files

I tried that and got a syntax error:

sage: attach "/home/jhersch/bin/sage-6.2/src/sage/stats/hmm/hmm.pyx"
  File "<ipython-input-4-162f4bbc7027>", line 1
    attach "/home/jhersch/bin/sage-6.2/src/sage/stats/hmm/hmm.pyx"
                                                     ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

What is the usual way sage developers go about making changes in cython
code without rebuilding everything?

Thanks!

Jesse