On Tue 20 May 2014 03:00:06 AM SGT, Luis Finotti wrote:

On Friday, May 16, 2014 5:41:53 PM UTC-4, P Purkayastha wrote:

    Actually, the problem in both cases could be that some directory,
    maybe /usr/local/sage-6.2 or some directory inside it, was group
    writable.

    On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 5:39 AM, Montgomery-Smith, Stephen
    <ste...@missouri.edu <javascript:>> wrote:

        On 05/16/2014 04:29 PM, Luis Finotti wrote:
        > Dear all,
        >
        > I tried to build from source (as usual for me) in Debian
        unstable (64 bit).

        > The install.log can be found here:
        > http://www.math.utk.edu/~finotti/misc/install.log
        <http://www.math.utk.edu/~finotti/misc/install.log>

        > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Best to all,
        >
        > Luis

        I got this error as well on FreeBSD when I tried to build sage
        as root.

        Building as non-root fixed the problem.

OK, I tried to continue the installation, and it failed again.  The
new log can be seen here:
http://www.math.utk.edu/~finotti/misc/install.log.2

I did find some directories with group write permissions.  I removed
these permissions and tried again, but this time it failed very
quickly.  I scraped it and now I am trying to build as a regular
user.  I will let you know if this fixes it.

Oddly enough, in my office computer, running Fedora, it installed
without problems...

Best to all,

Luis

Your problem seems to be this:

checking for python... /usr/local/sage-6.2/local/bin/python
checking for a version of Python >= '2.1.0'... sys:1: RuntimeWarning: not adding directory '' to sys.path since it's writable by an untrusted group. Untrusted users could put files in this directory which might then be imported by your Python code. As a general precaution from similar exploits, you should not execute Python code from this directory
yes
checking for the distutils Python package... no
configure: error: cannot import Python module "distutils".
Please check your Python installation. The error was:
sys:1: RuntimeWarning: not adding directory '' to sys.path since it's writable by an untrusted group. Untrusted users could put files in this directory which might then be imported by your Python code. As a general precaution from similar exploits, you should not execute Python code from this directory make[3]: Entering directory '/usr/local/sage-6.2/local/var/tmp/sage/build/pynac-0.3.2/src'
make[3]: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/sage-6.2/local/var/tmp/sage/build/pynac-0.3.2/src'
Error building pynac.

I had seen this error before and for me

./sage -f pynac

worked. But this was on a development version of sage and already all the components from a previous beta version of sage were already present.