Minor remark:  if you have defined x to be a polynomial ring generator
then Sage will happily form rational functions without you having to
define new rings:

sage: R.<x> = GF(3)[]
sage: R
Univariate Polynomial Ring in x over Finite Field of size 3
sage: f = x+1/x
sage: f.parent()
Fraction Field of Univariate Polynomial Ring in x over Finite Field of size 3