Thanks to everyone who commented. I am a fool. I got tangled up in some
similar sort of situation a few months ago and David Loeffler emailed me to
basically warn me off sage's x and to use anything else instead. I didn't
follow his advice this time because I couldn't get an R.<t> constructor to
work in a script because I was using execfile instead of %runfile. We live
and learn.

Kevin