On Dec 5, 2014, at 9:36 AM, Jérôme Tremblay <jerome.tremb...@gmail.com>
wrote:

On Friday, December 5, 2014 11:32:34 AM UTC-5, kcrisman wrote:

> When I run sage as admin, everything works fine. However, when my users
>> try to run Sage, they get a warning that they are trying to execute Sage
>> from a read-only filesystem.

If they hit continue, does Sage work as expected?

This was implemented in http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/15732 because Sage
> needs to write to some files in .sage, I believe.  So it is really raising
> a better error message than before, but I don't think Sage will work if
> they do not have write permission *somewhere*.  Someone can elaborate if
> that is not quite correct.

They do have access in their own home directory, under ~/.sage, but not in
/Applications/Sage.app.

But currently Sage checks if it has moved since last time it was run and
writes a file somewhere with the path.  So I think you would have to run it
at least once as root for that to work.

The check I added to the app was to prevent it from running on a disk image
which has no hope of working.  My check merely checks if the sage binary is
writable, so I could perhaps improve it to allow installation by root.  But
I’m not entirely sure how to ensure that things will work (I can't test
things right now).

Can I just run `sage -c 1+2` and see if it succeeds?

Perhaps a setting in the Info.plist would allow the administrator to turn
off the check once they know things will work.

Any other suggestions?

-Ivan