We run "./configure $$PREREQ_OPTIONS" in build/install so that must be
where the "x make" came from. But I'm a bit confused how that is possible.
 According to the log he hasn't set PREREQ_OPTIONS.

Pawel, can you post your build/Makefile? This should include the make
target:

$(INST)/prereq: ../configure
        @cd ..; rm -f config.log; ln -s logs/pkgs/config.log config.log; \
        ./configure $$PREREQ_OPTIONS || ( \
            if [ "x$$SAGE_PORT" = x ]; then \
                echo "If you would like to try to build Sage anyway (to
help porting),"; \
                echo "export the variable 'SAGE_PORT' to something
non-empty."; \
                exit 1; \
            else \
                echo "Since 'SAGE_PORT' is set, we will try to build
anyway."; \
            fi; )
        touch $@

Also, the "Warning: File `Makefile' has modification time 1.5 s in the
future" means that you are on a network file system where the file server
clock is out of sync. This is a serious problem, you should ask your admin
to fix it. Ideally build Sage on a local file system (/scratch or so).