On 2 September 2016 at 16:36, leif <not.rea...@online.de> wrote:

> John Cremona wrote:
> > Since I had never tried downloading and running a binary, I thought I
> > would.  For a laptop running ubuntu 14.04 I looked at the UK mirror and
> > found no 7.3 binary so I downloaded the 7.2 one (there was 7.3 for
> > ubuntu 12.04 but not 14.04 or later).
>
> 32-bit?!?!!!!  (For Sage 7.3, there are 64-bit binaries for 12.04,
> 14.04, 15.10 and 16.04.)

Well yes (uname -m returns i686).  For some reason I did this experiment on
a small and slow Toshiba netbook.

> As reported on sage-release, 32-bit (native) Ubuntu builds currently
> don't work for any Ubuntu version > 12.04 because of issues with
> -fstack-protector (which Ubuntu's GCCs by default enable).  Nobody has
> yet tracked this further down.  (I planned to revive a 32-bit machine
> for debugging/testing, but haven't yet had the time, but there doesn't
> seem to be much demand either.)

I had not realised this was such a can of worms.  I used to regularly build
Sage on this machine (slowly, but then I do sleep) and last did so with
7.0.   I can do so again if there is call for it (and this conversation is
better suited to sage-devel).

> > Using the command-line I unpacked
> > the tarball (tar jxf ...tar.bz2) which created a SageMath directory, so
> > I cd'd into there and typed ./sage.  As the original poster reported,
> > this resulted in a lot of "patching..." messages appearing, followed by
> > the 7.2 banner and a sage: prompt.  Subsequent runs also worked without
> > the patching stuff.
> >
> > This does not help much, though I wonder how many of the posted binaries
> > are tested?  And why is it neccessary to patch all those files?
>
> Because unfortunately people decided to break "relocating" Sage, which
> still worked a while ago (modulo very few and minor issues perhaps).
>
> So bdists are now made with some separate script / program from Volker,
> such that they "patch" themselves upon installation / first attempt to
> run 'sage'.  Loads of (absolute) paths in scripts but also binaries and
> libraries thereby get (again) hardcoded to the actual installation folder.
>
> I thought that would be the reason;  so it's Volker's script which could
be made less frightening to the novice user.

John