I'll comment on how to use plain git
http://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/developer/manual_git.html#git-the-hard-way

On Tuesday, December 6, 2016 at 9:03:46 PM UTC, Justin C. Walker wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> I have not done any real Sage development for a while (the last time, I
> think, there were wolves in Wales).
>
> I want to work on an existing Trac ticket, and I'm not clear on how to
> start this work.
>
> The ticket page gives me a branch (u/blah/branch-name).

if  u/blah/branch-name is coloured green, it means that it's mergeable over
the current beta.
(for some value of "current beta" which is normally equal to the current
beta)

else it is coloured red, and then merging should be done by hand (I'd say,
normally, of the ticket author, not of the reviewer)

> I am starting in a new, empty directory, and 'git' seems to want a
> repository specified.
>
> I have a "global" .gitconfig file set up.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> Should I check out the 'develop' branch first,

yes. And create a new named branch:

git checkout -b review_blah develop
(git will respond by
Switched to a new branch 'review_blah')

> and then incorporate (how?) the branch on top,

git fetch trac  u/blah/branch-name
git merge FETCH_HEAD

now your repo is in the state meant to be reviewed
(you most probably will want to do "make" to build the updated
sage, run tests, etc)

You might add reviewer commits, push your updated branch to the trac git
server, etc.
(either using u/yourself/foo branch naming scheme, or public/foo branch
naming scheme;
the latter allows changes by any Sage dev, which is sometines useful)

After you're done, you might like to clean the local repo mess using "git
branch"