> integral(sqrt(1+cos(x)^2),x,0,pi)
> >
> >     0
>
> The bug appears to be tickled by the Maxima package abs_integrate.
> Without abs_integrate, integrate(sqrt(1 + cos(x)^2), x, 0, %pi) just
> returns a noun expression.
>
> > Zero is decidedly not correct. The problem is apparently here:
> >
> > integral(sqrt(1+cos(x)^2),x)
> >
> >      -1/24*sin(3*x) + 1/8*sin(x)
>
> Hmm, for the indefinite integral I get (with abs_integrate)
>
>   (%i4)  integrate(sqrt(1+cos(x)^2),x);
>   (%o4) ((2*sin(3*x)+6*sin(x))*false-sin(3*x)+3*sin(x))/24

See https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/12731 for lots more examples (also
https://trac.sagemath.org/wiki/symbolics#Integrationtickets).  A lot of
these are reported upstream but since we are using the package I think they
are less likely to get attention than core Maxima functionality.  (And I
haven't been helpful lately on them either, so no aspersions are being
cast.)