I'm sure this is an uninformed question from an old man who is finally
accepting that the old SageNB Notebooks are going away, and who is
excitedly and very belatedly stepping into the new world of Jupyter.

On CoCalc or with the old SageNB Notebooks, there are lots of kernels to
choose amongst. The Jupyter notebooks in the current OS X binaries only
offer SageMath and Python kernels.  How does a fairly naive user install
kernels for R, gp, and gap?  I would have expected them just to be there
automatically, as they were with the old Notebooks.

I tried copying the kernel folders from CoCalc and editing them in what I
thought was the right way and putting them with the kernel folders on my
machine.  This produced kernels that show up in Jupyter, but that don't
work.  No doubt someone who knows the right things to put in the .json
files could make this work, but I can't.  This has to be an absurdly
complicated approach, though.  Surely there's just some trivial thing I
don't know about.

Apart from writing the occasional function in SageMath, I've never worked
with Python or Jupyter.

I'd really like to have these kernels available, but I want to run a local
SageMath installation because of unreliable Internet here in the woods.  I
can stay with the old Notebooks, but I'd like to be able to grow as
SageMath does.

--Tim