> I still don't know my way around the Sage documentation... Sorry for the
> elementary question.
>
> Yeah, we are sorry that it never has gotten more organized (though it is
actually quite thorough!).   You may want to try the French (now in
English) Sage book, or Greg Bard's AMS (but free online) Sage book.

> I just tried to use the *solve* command to find the roots of a polynomial
> of degree 4 with real coefficients. The result is a list of solutions
> expressed in (complicated) symbolic form. When I attempted to find the
> numerical value of the solutions, I got an error:
>
> TypeError: cannot evaluate symbolic expression numerically

There should be, and if you give us the precise commands you used, we
should be able to either log it as a bug report or something else.  For
many equations we get something back like x^5-x+1==0 which we know there
isn't a formula for, but if it is using the quartic formula or something
similar it should, in principle, be able to be approximated.  We'd have to
see your exact output to determine why that isn't happening.