Please see below.

TL;DR.
> patches are most welcome :-)

Understood.

> Sage-9.2 has several idiosyncrasies that for me are hard to explain. One -
>> it deliberately refuses to work with Macports-installed packages, even
>> though their main difference from similar ones installed via Brew is their
>> location. How crazy is that?
>>

> To me, it is macOS that has idiosyncrasies ;-)

True ;-)
But still, my Macports point stands.

> We don't have a single MacPort user among a handful of SageMath
> developers. Please feel free to provide patches. (Yes, it means supporting
> yet another nonstandard location, more or less, I suppose)

The fun part is that to support Macports, you need to look in
/opt/local/include for header files, in /opt/local/lib for libraries, and
in /opt/local/bin for executables. How hard does that sound?

And I daresay, that adding those directories to the Sage config code where
it is currently looking for stuff, is probably easier for a Sage developer
unfamiliar with Macports, than for a person experienced with Macports that
has no clue about Sage guts (and isn't eager to dive into those! ;).

Second, pplpy-0.8.4 is "obtuse" enough to try compiling C++ file
>> linear_algebra.cpp with clang instead of clang++, and then complain that
>> CFLAGS that are (surprise!) C-specific, do not make sense for C++. Need I
>> mention that it is impossible to locate clang but not clang++?
>>

> pplpy upstream is here, it has a very busy maintainer who does not use
> macOS
> https://gitlab.com/videlec/pplpy
> - the main developer no longer works on SageMath, as far as I know.
> patches are most welcome!

I'll take a look later, but the likelihood of me being able to fix it isn't
great.

> *Platform*
>> *-* iMac 2020, Intel Core i9 CPU, 32GM RAM
>> - macOS Catalina 10.15.7
>> - Xcode-12.3 (with command-line tools installed) in
>> /Applications/Xcode.app, and separately installed CLT 12.3 in
>> /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools.
>>

> XCode is a moving target, 9.2 was released before XCode 12.3

True, but not really relevant in the context. The big difference/jump came
with Xcode-10. Xcode-11 and -12 exacerbated that a bit, but I daresay,
imperceptibly so.

> - Macports 2.6.4, with a ton of packages installed in /opt/local, which
>> include clang-11, gcc-10, python38 and python39, and OpenSSL-1.1.1i.
>>

> one ought to use XCode's clang(++), and only need gfortran from the gcc
> package.

So one does. ;-)
As you can see from the log, the build uses Xcode's clang and clang++.

For *my* stuff, especially when I need to deal with sanitizers extensively,
I use Macports clang. And, of course, Xcode's GCC really sucks, so
installing a "real" one from Macports was a-must.

> Fortran binary location can be explicitly provided by setting FC
> environment variable.
> (same for C and C++, one can use CC and CXX)

It's all done in my config - *except* for Fortran. I don't use it any more
(for the last 20 years, or so ;), but it's no problem installing it. *Assuming
Sage would be smart enough to use it* (rather than downloading and building
it's own GCC and GFortran)!

> If you like to enable MacPorts, think about providing an analog of
> .homebrew-build-env script.

That's something constructive that I can probably do. Thanks for bringing
it up.