The short answer is that Sage is designed for (among others) research
mathematicians, who may not have the interest or inclination to learn how
to install lots of system packages. So from the beginning it included as
many components as possible. Years ago the presence of MacPorts and other
similar systems would actually break the Sage build process, so the build
process may attempt to disable them. Whether it tried to disable them, for
a long time Sage refused to use any system packages and just built
everything itself (with a few exceptions, like gcc).

This has been changing recently, and now Sage can use many system packages.
This is restricted to systems (OS + package manager) used by Sage
developers, and apparently no developer uses MacPorts, or at least not
enough to spend time getting Sage to work with it. Homebrew is pretty well
integrated with the Sage build process.