I'm teaching a linear algebra course where we use the Sympy Python package
for a lot of the computations. This includes a PreTeXt textbook where there
are Sage Cells throughout, with sample code supplied.

Until today (I think it was working yesterday), I've had no trouble running
code like the following:

from sympy import Matrix, init_printing
init_printing()
A = Matrix([[1,2,3,4],[5,6,7,8],[9,0,1,2]])
display(A.rref())

The init_printing function from Sympy renders the output in MathJax rather
than pretty-printed plain text, which is nice for teaching. I can run this
with the language set to either Sage or Python. (the 'display' command is
only needed for Python, which is funny, because it is not needed in Jupyter
with a Python kernel.)

Right now this code throws about 50 lines of error messages; the main error
is a Type Error:

TypeError: Object of type <class 'bytes'> with value of '(a very, very long
string that I won't reproduce here)' is not JSON serializable

Was there a change made today that would cause this error? Maybe in the
Sympy library? If I remove the init_printing() line, everything works,
except that there's no longer nice display for the output.

The reason for using Python syntax is that we also do labs in Jupyter
notebooks. Our institution has a Jupyter hub with Python and R kernels, but
no Sage kernel. (We do not have a CoCalc subscription.)

I know there is a Sage equivalent to init_printing (although I forget what
it is) but that won't work on the Jupyter side.