Firstly, thank you very much for your help, Nils!  I greatly appreciate it!

On Monday, May 29, 2023 at 8:06:46 PM UTC-4 Nils Bruin wrote:

On Monday, 29 May 2023 at 10:51:27 UTC-7 Luis Finotti wrote:

Any ideas on how to fix it?  Is it just me, or a bug with version 10.0?  I
followed the same steps I've always followed:
https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/installation/launching.html#setting-up-sagemath-as-a-jupyter-kernel-in-an-existing-jupyter-notebook-or-jupyterlab-installation

I guess, to rule out that it's not something weird with jupyterlab, you'd
want to try "jupyter notebook" as well and see if the kernel misbehaves
then as well (but it would be really weird if it didn't because lab and
notebook will be starting their kernels in exactly the same way)

The jupyter notebook had the same problem...

the problem is this symbol:
_ZNK6Givaro7IntegercvNSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char
so perhaps if the problem is sage 10.0-specific: did Givaro get upgraded in
10.0? Perhaps you're picking up a different/old Givaro when starting the
kernel whereas starting sage "properly" manages to find a givaro built
by/for sage 10.0?

I am not sure.  I will try to find out.

You can check:
$HOME/.local/share/jupyter/kernels/sagemath/kernel.json

what command is used to start sage. You could check if that command (bare)
works and if it works if you execute "<command> --python"
and then "from sage.all import *"

That worked fine, no errors and a few commands worked as expected.

It could be that the sage script itself got changed and somehow doesn't set
the environment as it needs to be to resolve the givaro library properly.

I'm sorry, I don't really have a ready-made solution for you. Hopefully
this helps in finding what's wrong and/or may jog someone else into
responding.

Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to help!