Thanks Dima for the suggestion.  I'm not sure that this does what I need:
the associated directed graph has each edge directed, which is not what I
was needing, and the faces of the directed graph look identical to those of
the original -- in particular, the edges of each face are tuples (x,y)
where both (x,y) and (y,x) appear on different faces (as I need to always
hold) regardless of the orientation of the edges.

I will keep on experimenting. My polyhedra are small and few enough that
check the orientations of each is not very time-consuming.

John