Well said Rico!
Chris De Souza

On Monday, May 26, 2014 4:52 AM, dilip dacruz <cruzmissil...@hotmail.com> wrote:

A very robust defence of the school, FN!

You raise interesting questions but avoid interesting accusations at the same
time! If the school is accepting students on the basis of payment, we have a
big problem, unless the school is completely Independent and enjoys no state or
church subsidy, direct or indirect. The payments also have to be in line with
taxation regulations.

The same factors determine whether discussion at Panchayat level is appropriate
or not. I suggest the existence of some form of subsidy is inevitable, and
discussion at the panchayat is therefore appropriate.

The issue of Language is as old as the hills, and is really why I picked up my
pen. I myself was brought up almost never to hear Konkani. The fact I know no
Konkani must be one of the biggest regrets of my life, compounded by the fact
that I truly have a disability when it comes to learning languages and cannot
rectify the disability. I cant count the number of times I have met Goan people
in different countries and their first question to me has invariably been "do
you speak Konkani?" to which I have had to bow my head in shame.

Looking from the outside in, I now see clearly what so many elders told me in
years gone by about language and culture. I understand why the South African
whites insisted on Afrikaans. Why the blacks refused. I can understand why the
Brits only spoke English in their colonies and why the Portuguese introduced so
many incentives to promote their tongue in Goa. [Some of you may now understand
my reluctance to promote the gratuitous, divisive and unnecessary use of their
language by way of greeting at church feasts]. Religions have also understood
the techniques of çontrol', and have always promoted a 'proper' language of
worship (Arabic or Latin) for similar sorts of reasons.

Modern English however is different. It no longer belongs to anybody though it
still has grammar, idiom and syntax that are easily connected to its origins. I
thoroughly enjoy well-spoken and well-written English (read Stephen Fry).  But
the connection with English culture is blurring as it has become the universal
language of trade, science and the internet. Whilst English-speaking Indians
still are a set of people with definable characteristics, their connection with
England is fast fading.

I believe therefore that all schools (worldwide) should be English medium but
that (in Goa) Konkani should also be taught in all schools and taught well.
Just like all the colonial powers of yore, we should remember that the best way
to destroy identity is to destroy language.

Dilip