Dear Anette
FYI - this issue of admission was even before the LCHS turned into an english medium. it started when it was konkani medium. so where does this whole issue of MOI come up??? I think its foolish to talk about grants and the like which are beyond our purview and also out of topic.

Ashley

On Monday 26 May 2014 05:42 PM, ANNETTE D'SOUZA wrote:
Rico, well put! kudos to you & all like minded thinkers...

Not just Saligao, but Goa has become such that everything is difficult to obtain at the right price - I have observed that just by staying 3 weeks in Goa every year - so why not admissions? LCHS has served us all - *well *- including students from neighbouring villages. The nuns have done & are doing their best. Konkani medium was accepted by LCHS & other schools since they then got the grant from the Govt. - very simple. Funds are always required & welcomed by any Institution. Maybe it is time to support, give, help?

I am glad that we are back to medium of instruction being English. Even if not our language, unfortunately it is required around most of the world. Having said that, I believe that Konkani as our "mother tongue" should continue to be included as one of the important subjects/languages in the school curriculum....no contest here! We all - Goenkars - should know our mother tongue. Unfortunately I didnt get an opportunity to study the language as it was not offered in the syllabus during my school years. However I learnt to speak & read because my granny used to help out. I can write a bit but would probably spell mosts things wrongly as it was the roman script used in the newsletter she received, and not the devnagiri script.

If "school admissions" are a matter for discussion at the panchayat level, and whilst on the subject of Gram Sabha & Panchayat, then perhaps registration of birth (Goan children born outside India) as a point of discussion could be included at next session. Meanwhile, perhaps someone in authority at Panchayat Level can answer as to why our kids cannot be registered in Saligao...born abroad (having a birth certificate & passport to prove it) but now staying in India albeit not in Goa! I just hope the death certificate will be issued if the child is to be buried at his "mother-place".

Annette

Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 14:35:11 +0530
Subject: Re: [SALIGAONET] Congratulations to Saligao's SSC students...
To: saligao-net@googlegroups.com <mailto:saligao-net@googlegroups.com>

Those who are demanding admission for children in the school also have a duty to ensure that the school is given all facilities to expand and grow to its full potential. It is easy to fling wild allegations. Everyone wants priviledges and a share of the cake; how many have taken the trouble to build up institutions of this kind? I have been a neighbour, a student, an alumni and a parent-of-students at the Lourdes Convent. From 1967 or so, I've seen the work and dedication put in to build this institution, by the FMCK nuns (from Sr Veronica, Sr Adelaide, Sr Lily and many, many others) and the teachers and so many non-teaching staff. Sr Lily I've known from the time she was a primary school teacher, till she became the principal, and she has been always been very cooperative and supportive. Those who understand the way education works in Goa today, would be able to read between the lines of what is being said. For a long time (around 1992-2012), Devanagari Konkani was forced down the throats of parents and students. Nobody wanted to join the school then! Now, Lourdes Convent has an English-medium primary school again, we are bound to see all kinds of pressures for admission! Should education and our institutions be politicised? Can those who are lobbying for the benefits of having a good school in our village also do something to build it further? In my view, LCHS should have got permissions to start and run at least a higher-secondary school, if not a college by now... consider all the excellent work it has put in since the 1940s. The funding situation is very tight for education in Goa today. If you are a well-connected even-if-semi-literate politician or ex-MLA, you can set up a higher secondary school or even a college! The rest are left to the wolves. They are then beaten with the we-are-not-getting-admission stick.
Is school admissions a matter for discussion at the panchayat level?
Lourdes Convent has recently set up a school for students with special needs. It is a well sought-out institution. Have we bothered to ask what is needed to create and build such institutions? The government pays some of the costs involved; where does the other money come from? The school has been very open in taking in students from diverse backgrounds. My daughter has just completed her SSC from Lourdes Convent, and both my brother and me studied there till Std VI. Here's wishing the school grows from strength to strength, and one day becomes Our Lady of Lourdes College!
FN