On Wed, 26 May 2004 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> my ignorance. The right thing that the people of saligao should do is to change
> our attitudes towards life instead of critising this one and that one and that
> hinders our progress. When I come to saligao I find the roads outdated,
> electricity not up to mark and I think people do not even get enough water.
> albert

Just for the sake of debate, however broad the roads in Goa get, it will
be insufficient, as long as we all have to depend on our own vehicles and
the public transportation system continues to be in a state of collapse.

My view is that Saligao (along with the other villages, of course) needs a
public transport system it can depend on.

The Calangute-Saligao-Panjim bus route is as poorly (or probably worse)
served than it was 20 years ago, when we were in college.

The Mapusa-Saligao-Pilerne-Betim route has improved dramatically,
basically for two reasons (i) the need to serve the industrial estate on
atop Pilerne and (ii) the fact that mini-buses plying through village Goa
makes more sense and can cope with the erratic pressure on the public
transport system at different times of the day.

As far as the Calangute-Saligao-Mapusa route is concerned, I don't travel
on it often enough to be in a position to comment.

Broad roads are fine; but as Panjim's example shows us, with so many fast
vehicles adding pressures on a system meant for just a handful of cars,
it's impossible to cope. (We have nearly 400,000 vehicles in Goa, mostly
private, today ... among the highest ratio in India... meaning that while
parking woes, and killer roads pose a problem on one hand, the dearth of a
proper public transport system is strongly felt on the other.)

FN