Dear friends
Its high time we should open the doors of the saligao institute and request each
and every youngster and also midage to visit the club and use it to the
fullest. Today you will find few men there and their presence is hardly
noticeable. I remember 35 years ago life at the saligao institute was hetic. we
had to fight to get a game of table tennis, and carrom so much so we had to be
contented to play a game called rounders on the table tennis table. The club
was forced to buy another table and extend its room . Every sunday the club
would be crowded and we had to be contented to be standing in the verandahs to
play a game of housie.The club was also a place for lovers to meet. We used to
have hops, jam sessions and two dances and all with profits. The ladies would
have their week long programme which used to be housefull. At 8pm the caretaker
would drive us home. I do not remember if it was at 7 pm . Apart from that we
would have a football game in the fields and badminton where our older
generation too played. I remember Laury and his wife, Albert souza
cordeiro,Camilo D'Mello and his brother and others I do not remember used to
play on alternate days. Today our younger generation is not even seen on the
roadside / I do not know where they go or if at all there are youngsters at all
in saligao. Staying in Mapuca I miss the Saligao Institute.
albert