Just read Ashley's post, and would like to give some feedback on the same.

First of all, I feel a mailing-list is suitable to discuss ideas and get the ball
rolling. But, after a point, the discussions need to stop, and things need to get done.

Secondly, collaborative functioning is good upto the level of building links and
sharing ideas. For this, the Internet is great. But, at the level of execution, the
work has to be done by small teams. Otherwise, there will be chaos.

Thirdly, if we adopt the position that team-leaders-must-be-based-in-Saligao, we will
be losing out on a lot of potential skills of people who could do a lot of effective
work.

My personal view is that Val is the best person to undertake a book on Saligao. Not
just because his dad co-wrote one a generation ago (such skills are not necessarily
inherited). But because he is in the field itself, as editor of the Express Computer
publication.

In any case, instead of shooting down initiatives, what we need is to encourage as
many initiatives to take place. It would even be fine if there was more than one
initiative to put together a book on Saligao. So what? There's a better chance that at
least one would succeed; and, who knows, we might even end up with more than one book
on the village.

Given the interest that Sanjeev Trivedi has shown, we really must tap his interest.
And who says there's scope for just *one* book on Saligao? Why Dayanita Singh (who
just joined out list today) might come out with a book exclusively of her photographs
if we are successful in planting some positive ideas.

Let those taking up this work build a small team, and go ahead with it.

Also, my view is that there's no harm in having a long list of intended goals. Even if
many are not immediately feasible, at least we could put these on the agenda. Who
knows, if we can't achieve it, someone else might decide its worth it and go ahead.

I've been intending to lengthen the Val-compiled list of "priorities for Saligao".
Suggestions from others are more than welcome. FN