From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of Yem, Scott
Sent: Sun Nov 17 11:58 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [SA-list] Possible new feature request

This is more of something for scheduled maintenance.  We are already
familiar with the method of changing this as needed.  We make schedules when
the maintenance is to occur.  Things go well when people remember to put the
system into maintenance before working on it, but as administrators, we
think it is better to put it into a schedule so that others do not forget.
If it is a temporary thing, that is OK, but it is better that it is planned
down than just notifying us when down.

The issue is more that people forget to put servers into maintenance when
working on them.  If there are schedule we have that we know the servers
will be unavailable, it would work great for us.  All server maintenance
should be scheduled unless unexpected, so this would seem to be a good idea.
The other issue is that we put our monitoring server on a different power
grid and switch than our servers.  This assures the connectivity, but it
moves the server to a different area.  This becomes problematic since the
server is not seen when working on the server, many times the act of putting
the server into maintenance is forgotten.

Right now the interface only relates to the standard schedule.  When we make
plans, we can only make them currently within a week of the time and then we
have to change them back after that.  Just asking if this is going to be
possible to have the temporary schedules so we can put thing so that lets
say, 12/11/02 at 1415 the server will be down for 30 minutes, we can put
that into a schedule so that nobody forgets.  Currently, the earliest I
would be able to put it into the schedule is 12/5/02 and I would have to
remember to take it back out before 12/18/02 when the next time it would
check occurs.  It just does not seem to be the best thing to modify the
standard schedule if things are working fine.  If we forget, the system will
not notify if it id down between 1400 and 1500 on any Wednesday.  This
obviously could become problematic, especially if the window of maintenance
is longer.

Scott Yem
System Administrator - Liberate Technologies
2 Circle Star Way, Cube 3311
San Carlos, CA  94070
Direct          650-701-5318
Helpdesk        650-701-4411