At the risk of sounding flippant, Gene, instead of asking us what's
important to your business, it would probably be better to tell us
what's important to your business, and then asking us how to monitor it.

For example, if I just ask you guys what I should monitor here at my
company, I'd get a thousand different (and mostly useless) answers.  SA
is used to monitor all kinds of stuff.  Make a checklist of things that
will cause problems if they go down, and then attack each one to see the
best ways to monitor it.

What you're asking is akin to emailing a group of doctors and asking
what symptoms to look for if you're sick.  There's a lot of ways to get
sick, and there's a lot of doctors to look at different things.  Tell us
what hurts first, and we'll give you some ideas.  :-)

Again, don't take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to help you get
the best experience possible out of the group.

Brent Ozar - UniFocus
"Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles,
 watching the birds change color and fall from the trees."
      David Letterman