inline (for some parts)

Dirk.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 4:33 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [SA-list] RRDTool (was Bandwidth)

OK guys, I'm nibbling. I've got a copy of RRDTools and am playing a bit with it and SA, although I'm still a bit (a bit!??) confused about a few things.

1) Some of you seem to be saying that RRD is a frontend to MRTG - but can be a frontend to SA instead.
[<dirk>] SA is able to log into RRD files
2) Some of you seem to be saying that RRD and MRTG are doing the same thing but differently.
3) Some of you seem to be saying that MRTG and SA are doing the same thing but differently.
4) OK, let's dumb it down a bit. If I'm using SA, and I want to produce graphs of (say) network bandwidth, what extra tool should I use? RRD? MRTG? Both? Neither? Coathanger?
[<dirk>] SA v4 can only log the roundtrip times not the check results (like a snmp get value ...), so if you want to make a graph of the used bandwidth I would suggest pen-and-paper :-)  or to wait for SA v5 were the logging of check results will be possible.

5) In SA, in the RRD logging setup screen, what command do I enter in the "Command to execute after the update" section?

[<dirk>] The .BAT file that creates the graphs is a good example..that way the graphs are created each time after the updates of the RRD files.

Aaaaahhhh! (brain explodes)
[<dirk>] I know the feeling....

Ian K Gray
OEL IS - European Network Operations