my situation appears to be that salive does one of two things
1) Hangs on a COM check (eg: Event Log)
2) Hangs on a URL check

In the gui; I can press stop -- and the gui responds, however, it
doesn't actually stop the service.. Likewise pressing 'start' doesn't
restart anything.I can edit, delete, add checks in the GUI w/o
problems.. so the gui isn't crashed.

The service appears to be running, however a view in Task
Manager yeilds that it's at 100% (or just under) CPU utilization.

Net stop salive
<wait for a few seconds>
net start salive

is the only thing that "fixes it"

It's now happened on two different machines (one was previously
running the beta) and the new machine it happened on
(undiscovered for 2+ weeks) has not had anyone log into it, touch
it; walk by it for almost 4 weeks...

I think the applet to check the log file & restart the service is (sadly)
the way to fix this issue.  This isn't ideal because it looses states
(crc of webpages, emails previously sent to people about tehir
system being donw (yeilding in several "down" messages when
they should only get one)  it's better than manually checking it all
the time...