Ian,

Can you have SA do a download (FTP?) from McAfee and then do a binary file compare (FC) of your download vs whatever file you are using internally?

-Tom

From: Servers Alive Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 7:32 AM
To: Servers Alive Discussion List
Subject: [SA-list] Checking anti-virus updates

Folks,

Every morning our Service Desk do a manual check to see that our anti-virus infrastructure is up to date. Specifically, they check that the virus definitions file (from McAfee) on the central server is the latest one.

I'd love to automate that check, but I'm not sure how to do it. I can do a check on the timestamp of the file on the server, but I then need to be able to somehow test if that is the latest available file. As the updates come out from McAfee at irregular intervals (anything from a few times a day to a few times a week) doing an "older than x hours" isn't really adequate.

Any ideas? Is anyone else doing this?

Cheers,

Ian
If you use auto-responders (like out-of-the-office messages), then make sure that they are not send to the list nor to the individual members of the list that send a message. Doing this will get you removed from the list.