In the case of CA it might be needed to check for both, but that can be done in 2 checks too, don't you think?

As for the check of the engine/software version, that could be done.  BUT a lot of the AV makers don't list a valid version number of the signature versions, and for the engine/software version it's even worse.  We could it for the few ones that have it listed, but I can assure you it's realy not many....(1 or 2 maybe)

Dirk Bulinckx.

From: Servers Alive Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Michael Shook
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 3:31 PM
To: Servers Alive Discussion List
Subject: RE: [SA-list] Anti-virus signature checker

I'll send you what I see, because yes, it differs.

As for the checks, what I mean is, CA recommends using the InnoculateIT engine for realtime scanning and using the VET engine for the local scanner (full or file scans), or vice versa

So, most people will need to know that BOTH sig files are up to date.

My other question then was (and this would apply for all AV software packages), should we be checking the version of the software itself? If so, how?

Michael D. Shook
Technical Analyst
Saddle Creek Corporation
Michael.Shook@saddlecrk.com