We use the cheap and cheerful Vmware Server Edition ;0)

It would be useful to have alerts for the state of Virtual Machines,
Vmware has many programs that can be run on the command line, if my
understanding is correct Vmware console is mostly a wrapper for these
utilities.  I believe that ESX has pretty much the same utilities as
Server but with obviously enhanced capabilites e.g.

vmrun list (will list all running vm's in all versions of vmware)

vmware-cmd -l (will list all registered vm's running or not)

vmware-ping <hostname or ip> (will give a one line return if the machine
is reachable which is useful to test state of machine if in host-only
mode or configured in another network such as a test domain, although
would only be reachable by the Vmware host it is running on)

vmware-cmd <path to vmx file> getstate  (tells us if the machine is
running, off or stuck in which case user intervention is required, this
would be very useful to monitor)

These are just a few things which would be useful and I have tried to
cite examples which would apply more to SA.

Mark Perry

Systems & Networks Administrator

Telephonetics VIP Ltd

"making sound

             business sense"

Simply dial +44 (0)1442 242 242 and ask for me by name.

www.telephoneticsVIP.co.uk

Providing innovative hosted and customer premises speech recognition and
voice automation solutions.

Disclaimer: available at
http://www.telephoneticsVIP.co.uk/telephonetics/emaildisclaimer.jsp or
by sending email to <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
applies to this email.

Registered address: 7th Floor, Hamilton House, 111 Marlowes, Hemel
Hempstead, Hertfordshire HP1 1BB

Registered in England No: 2831215