From: Servers Alive Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dirk
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:45 AM
To: Servers Alive Discussion List
Subject: [SA-list] New check type (combined check)

After a little brainstorming we came up with the following idea of a new check
type and we would like to get some feedback on the idea.

A "combined" check:
        new_check is a sum of other entries, were each entry gets a weight and
you define on what weight we should give the down

        Example:
                new_check       trigger weight 5

                        entry_1 (ping host1)    weight 1
                        entry_11        (ping host2)    weight 2
                        entry_2 (URL http://www.something.com)  weight 4
                        entry_3 (URL http://www.somethingelse.com)      weight 4

        This means that
                if entry_1 is down AND entry_11 is down, then new_check gets a
result of 3 (sum of 1 and 2) and gets an UP
                if entry_1 is down AND entry_2 is down, then new_check gets a
result of 5 (sum of 1 and 4) and gets a DOWN

We also thought about a combined BOOLEAN check
        new_check is down IF
                        (entry_1 = down          or entry_2 = down) AND
(entry_2=down or entry_3=down)

Would this help you in your monitoring needs?

Dirk Bulinckx.

salive@woodstone.nu If you use auto-responders (like out-of-the-office
messages), make sure that they are not sent to the list nor to individual
members.  Doing so will cause you to be automatically removed from the list.

they are not sent to the list nor to individual members.  Doing so will cause