Hi Graham (et al),

Since my mail about this a few weeks ago, we have replaced our
"mobile-via-cable" with a proper GSM modem - one of these, to be precise:

http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/USB_GSM_Modem.html

Results so far are an improvement on the original, but still not bulletproof.
Let me explain.

The modem is set up to send out alerts under two conditions. Firstly (and most
importantly), SA checks for Internet connectivity. If that check fails, it
implies that our normal methods of alerting (email to Blackberry and SMS via an
Internet SMS provider) will also fail. Therefore SA uses the GSM modem to send
out an alert directly to a range of people. When I simulated an Internet
failure, some of the alerts were sent out, but not all of them. Unfortunately
there doesn't appear to be any way to determine what exactly happened from SA's
logs.

Because this Internet failure is (hopefully!) very rare, but nonetheless
critical, I need to be confident that the GSM modem is always working. I
therefore have another check set up (the second of the two conditions referred
to above), which checks a nonexistent host and therefore always fails. This
then sends a "GSM modem is still alive" message every 250 checks (roughly once
a day). This isn't a very elegant way of doing it - I'd rather be able to send
a set message at a set time every day. I tried doing that with Exec Alerts or
Status Summary, but that doesn't work for that purpose.

Part of our difficulty is that SA seems to get mixed responses from the GSM
modem. At different times I see any of the following messages in the SA log:

INFO AT+C for message 0 info:  (0)
ERR AT+C for message 0 error: Device in use (202)
ERR AT+C for message 0 error: No response from modem (50)

The first is, I think, an indication that a message has been successfully sent,
although it would be really useful if it indicated the number that the message
had been sent to.

The second, I suspect Dirk will tell us, points to a Windows problem - i.e.
that some other application is accessing the GSM modem. What confuses me,
however, is that nothing else on that box is set up to use the modem, so I just
don't understand why it would give an in use message.

The third speaks for itself - again I guess Dirk will say that this is a
Windows problem (and I would believe that), but again I don't know why the
modem should be unresponsive sometimes.

I wonder if it would be possible for SA to keep retrying the GSM modem, in the
event that it is "in use" or doesn't respond? I also wonder if it would be
possible to get a better log of what messages have been sent, when, to whom,
and with what success?

Cheers,

Ian

_________________________________
Ian K Gray
OEL IS - European Infrastructure Support
Tel: +44 1236 502661
Mob: +44 7881 518854
Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit

<graham.br...@bentley.com>
Sent by: Servers Alive Discussion List <salive@woodstone.nu>

20/11/2009 12:10 Please respond to
Servers Alive Discussion List <salive@woodstone.nu>
To Servers Alive Discussion List <salive@woodstone.nu> cc Subject [SA-list]
Using SMS in the UK for alerts

Hi,

Usual question... Does anyone have a bulletproof way of actually making this
work? I have tried with a modem, with a mobile attached via cable but does not
work. I don&#8217;t mind paying within reason &#8211; I just want to be able to
receive SMS alerts quickly when there is a problem.

Thanks

Graham

Graham Brown
IT Analyst
Bentley Systems UK Ltd

Bentley Systems (UK) Ltd, North Heath Lane, Horsham, West Sussex. RH12 5QE
Registered in England No. 2957722
they are not sent to the list nor to individual members. Doing so will cause

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and not
necessarily of the Company. This email and any files transmitted with it,
including replies and forwarded copies (which may contain alterations)
subsequently transmitted from the Company are confidential and solely for the
use of the intended recipient. It may contain material protected by legal
privilege. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for
delivering to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
email in error and that any use is strictly prohibited. Please notify the
sender immediately of the error and delete any copies of this message

Warning: Although the Company has taken reasonable precautions to ensure that
no viruses are present in this e-mail, the Company cannot accept responsibility
for any loss or damage arising from the use of this e-mail or attachments.