For some time we have a SQL server check in Servers Alive.  This check
is based on SQL DMO, and only works with realy old version of SQL.  For
newer versions of SQL we have the add-on, however not for the newest
version of SQL.

There are some questions surrounding that.
        * what version(s) of SQL are you using (and want to check)
        * do you see it as a problem if the 'support' for those old versions of
SQL (upto SQL2000) would be removed from Servers Alive
        * do you prefer it to be a build-in check (like the current SQL DMO
based one) or do you prefer an external COM check for it

--
Dirk Bulinckx
Servers Alive - http://www.woodstone.nu