I haven't had time to fix my own power supply, so I've tempoarily borrowed
Allan Skillman's. And I'm glad to say, my Sam is working fine.

Better than ever in fact, which is why I'm so confused.

Let me explain... I have my Sam connectted by it's composite SCART to my
PowerMac's video input port, basically this means I can use my Sam without
having to drag two CRTs around the country six times a year.

The first time I'd tried this,I found the the colour infomation which
reached the screen was always completely screwed (whether I used composite
SCART, or the UHF signal) It would oscillate between fully positive and
fully negative saturation with a frequency equivalent to a few horizontal
lines, so for example a bright blue screen became a fuzzy mess of
constantly moving blue and yellow lines.

The luminence was fine, so I turned the colour down and lived with it. I
specifically tested my cable and the Sam with real TVs and even the video
at home, and they were perfectly fine so I always assumed the problem was
some sort of inherent incompatibility between the Sam's video output and
the Mac's input which may have been expecting a perfect PAL signal.

With this other power supply, the colours are fine. Perfect. Rock solid.

*boggle*

Does this mean my power supply had been going wrong for at least the past
year? What could a dodgy 12V line have done to the colours anyway? Why was
it working fine with a TV? I mean, WHY?

Oh well, that just leaves me with problems which *are* inherent
incompatibilities, ie blurring of adjacent horizontal lines and the fact my
CRT isn't running at 50Hz...

Andrew

PS. All my power supplies have been in white cases. Ian's is in a white
case. All the power supplies I remember seeing at Gloucester shows were in
white cases. Allan's is in a black case... anyone else got a black PSU?

PPS. Did anyone else recently get contacted by a Hungarian who wants to buy
a Sam? I suggested he should ask on the sam-users list and told him how to
subscribe, but instead he sent an email to the Selwyn College Computer
support group.... Who teaches these foreigners English, anyway? :)

PPPS. 39 people so far have looked at my sam-users users page - but only
two have actually replied. Come on! I recognise some of the DNS names BTW,
I know who you are and there is no escape....

--
| Andrew Collier | email [EMAIL PROTECTED]       | Talk sense     |