At 9:21 pm +0000 30/11/98, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>In a message dated 30/11/98  10:17:22, you write:
>
>>Turn it off and leave it to sulk for a few minutes then try it :)
>>Seriously it's probably the disk controller getting it's knickers in a
>>twist (Something that according to Bob doesn't happen but there you go
>>...)
>
>I've never said that.
>
>All I content is that there is no need, in normal everyday use, for any
>additional chips on the disc system.

Precisely. You're saying that there is not a fundamental problem with the
system, when in fact there is one - the cause of which is that the disk
controller gets confused during reset, even if there's no disk in the drive
at the time. And it can stay confused even after you put a disk in and try
to boot.

Please note that we have, in fact, been through this already; I refer you
to the discussion on sam-users in July this year threaded "Re: reset->disk
corrupt problem; where to find info on Atom"

At 11:45 am +0000 23/7/98, Simon Cooke wrote:
>[Bob Brenchley previously wrote]
>>To prevent disc corruption just follow the very simple rule 'do have a
>disc in
>>the drive when you switch on/off or press reset'.
>
>Presumably you have some miraculous way of un-hanging both disc
>controllers, Bob? Because whether the disc is in the drive or not, the
>controller still goes haywire. In my machine, with two drives, it had
>fits. That's without any modifications. It corrupted disks *without them
>being in the drive*. It continously came up with disk errors on booting
>- when there were no errors - just because the disk controller was
>spouting bad data. If one of the controllers was working, you could
>pretty much guarantee that the other one had hung. Getting both drives
>in a workable state simultaneously was a pain at times. Some days were
>worse than others.
>
>Installed the disk protector - and hey presto. Absolutely no more
>problems.
>
>Simon

Andrew

--