> > your are not aloud to create a copy of anything , without the copyright
> > owners permission. Having a backup of a disk thats not used for illegal
> > purposes , is like have a gun and NEVER thinks of firing it (Pointless)
>
> Are you 100% sure about this?  The +D interface on the Spectrum was fairly
> well geared towards transferring tape based software to disk, and that
> seemed to be acceptable. Is that any different from what is being done
when
> creating disk images?

Building/Selling of a Interface that COPIES something is not a offence , if
its main purpose is NOT to COPY copyrighted material , Here +D/Disciples
where primarly , gives an alternaitive types of storage meduim that could
'PIRATE' software if the user wished.

Back to the Gun thing as a cross reference , you can have a gun a Deternent
but you are not aloud to shot it unless in self defence , but if the user
wished they could kill as many peeps as they wish?

All so called backup device are ILLEGAL , as they are promoted as a BACKUP
device, read the back of most software today (Manly CARTS) , they state you
can only us in the form they have been sold in.

The grey area here is that the Sam's Doc's are supposidly Copyrighted , but
the Roms have been givin freely from Dr Andy Wright, to be used in SimCoupe.
And who knows who owns the Asic (MGT creditors I think?)

Also there has been a court case for EVERY so called backup device , that
has ever been released due to the copyright owner not giving there consent
to having there property 'PIRATED' , and all have failed due to them being
sold for personal use , so know they target importers and are succeeding

There are LOADS of links to Web pages in the EMU SCENE , about copyright etc
..

> It's always been quite a grey area in emulation...

The grey area of Emu , is that to be totaly legal (Unless with Copyrighted
owners consent) , on emulate something that you have not had direct contact
will , i.e Never seen and found EVERYTHING you know about it by trial and
error

> That'll be possible under Win9x, but I haven't found a way to do it under
NT
> without modifying the kernel-mode floppy driver (the source is available
so
> that may be possible).

Then worry about NT later ,  ( think Simon Cooke may object here :))

> Now I've got the hard disk emulation working I was even playing with the
> (dangerous!) idea of having raw hard disk access! It would allow the same
> physical hard disk to be shared by the emulator and and a real SAM with
the
> ATOM interface.

Dangerous

Chris