-----Original Message-----
From: Gordon Wallis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; sam-users@nvg.ntnu.no
<sam-users@nvg.ntnu.no>
Date: 13 April 1999 18:42
Subject: Re: Hardwarehelp wanted!! Any ideas?
>I shall politely refrain from comment over the 'loss' of the SD
>interface DOS source code...

In all fairness, I do feel sorry for Nev for the loss of his hardwork -
after all it is the same chap who then later relented and said how wonderful
the Atom was!!!

>...and promptly launch into an advert for the ATOM. I've been using one
>and BDOS for quite a few months now, and I can recommend to anyone
>wanting to stick a hard one into their Sam (er, hard DISK, that is).

And more to the point, The Atom is INTERNAL - unlike the other!

And for those people scared to open up their SAM and dabble around... (and
of course owners of the "Elite") there also exists an option to have the
Atom mounted externally as well!

I'm currently looking into a fairly inexpensive external powered casing unit
to allow the Atom to run with either standard 3.5 or 2.5 hard drives...
strangely enough, the case would also allow the usage of an external
CDROM.... now - all we need is something to use it...!

Oh what a co-incidence! Martijn Greon just happens to have written a
Spectrum Emulator which supports the CDRom...!

>Sure, loads of people (Mr. Brenchley included) complain that BDOS splits
>your hard disk into floppy disk-sized records, rather than functioning
>'properly' with directories and such. Better that than a hard disk
>interface and a DOS which *doesn't work at all* though, eh? The biggest

And more to the point - BDOS uses all real Basic commands! And most decent
commercial software has already been converted! (You should see the Atom
version of SAM Paint...! Makes it a lot easier overall to use!)

>problem you'll face is remembering the names/numbers of your records.

Welll... perhaps that isn't such a problem as BDOS does allow you full 16
character names! And if you use a nice and quick front end such as the one
from Martijn Green - only a couple of K long - then it makes selecting the
correct RECORD a piece of cake.

>If you're keen to keep your 2-drive setup, you'll probably need the
>external version of the interface, but I'm sure Edwin Blink can fill in
>the details on this, as both the ATOM and BDOS are his babies...
>Alternatively, if you're after a real sales pitch, I'm sure David
>Ledbury can help out.

Ta muchly! Yep, the external version also exists - for very little more than
the internal... please email for further info.

David L