Stuart Brady wrote:

>I do, however, urge Si Owen to release the code, no matter how buggy or
>incomplete it is. I was under the impression that he was waiting until
>he'd got the basics working first, but he seems to be well past that
>stage, if he's thinking about disk image formats. Have you got any good
>reason not to release it, Si?

(This isn't directed at Stuart - but to the whole list)

I think people should be more cautious in demanding the release of the win32
port source. In fact, I'm impressed Si Owen is still doing it.

If I was doing the port: after reading all the posts on this matter, I
would've lost my temper by now, scrapped all changes to the code and
send a post on here in the spirit of "Sod this for a game of marbles,
someone else do the friggin port! I've had enough."

Oh dear.. I think I'm going to get flamed for all that. Oh well...

As for the OS wars, calm down... It's not Simon Cooke's fault for all
Microsoft stuff. Niether it is ANY Microsoft engineer's fault. If any
of you lot know what it's like to work in a commercial software development
environment, then you know it's not the engineers that make the decisions -
It's the effing managment!!!! It's the management that want the money.
It's the management that decide what gets released on what platform, when
it gets released and whether or not it's ready to be released in the
first place!!!!!!!

The amount of times I've been involved in project where I think it's best
to implement something one way only to be overturned by someone else
amazes me.

In fact, I'm still waiting for a decision from higher management whether I
should be porting my driver to Digital Unix 4.0D or Compaq Tru64 4.0F. My
opinion (as with my project leader's opinion) is that we should go for the
latest. Until then, I'm stuck writing test utilities...

I'm sure that if it was up to the engineers in Microsoft, then they would
try to make the software as perfect as possible for ALL platforms. But it's
a f***ing business out there - Programmers no longer have control!!!

Thank you, and good night.
Justin.