From: Aley Keprt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> From: Stuart Brady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> >He really should consider releasing the source code whilst he's working
>> >on it, so that the Linux and DOS versions have a chance to catch up.
>>
>> So you're saying that people write bug-free code the first time they write
>it?
>> Dream on. Surely it's better that he gets everything he's working on
>working and
>> stable? (building castles on rocks instead of sand, and all that) Get the
>bugs
>> out of the way now rather than cause problems later.
>
>THAT'S THE POINT!

Then why not wait for Si to finish his bit?

>> >I do, however, urge Si Owen to release the code, no matter how buggy or
>> >incomplete it is.
>>
>> What use is that to any future programmer? It's bloody difficult to
>develop
>> someone else's alpha code because you don't know if any bugs discovered
>were as
>> a result of the original programmer's coding or any changes you did after
>that.
>> Getting Si to complete his bit first before releasing the code will save a
>LOT
>> of trouble and hassle in future.
>
>SimCoupe is a modular program. So people can work parallely on it.
>When I look what you wrote above, I think you probably haven't seen
>any larger program. Or do you really think all programs have been made
>by one single person??? (imagine space ships software...)

Well, you think wrong about me there, VERY wrong. However, if Si's not working
on any modules that affect your module, then why does it matter how long it
takes him to do his stuff? You can do your stuff, he can do his, where's the
problem? If Si's bit DOES affect you, then wait patiently for it to be done.

>> >I was under the impression that he was waiting until
>> >he'd got the basics working first, but he seems to be well past that
>> >stage, if he's thinking about disk image formats. Have you got any good
>> >reason not to release it, Si?
>>
>> It would make sense for a programming, when porting stuff and making
>iprovements
>> along the way, to add the improvements when he can, rather than wait until
>the
>> end of the project. That way, the details of the part of the program which
>he's
>> improving are still fresh in his memory. So, it's entirely possible that
>Si's
>> done a few improvements in one part of the program, yet hasn't done the
>porting
>> in another part of it, making it unreleaseable at this point.
>
>You go into "possibilities". Get back into reality and stop talk abut
>things you can't know.

The development life cycle of any program are very very similar indeed.

>Also, I don't want to make any ports of SimCoupe, I just want to add my code
>to it.
>I won't work on the same places as Si does, so where is the problem.
>You are still talking about porting betas, but this is not the case.
>Stuart Brady wants the sources for ?something?, but other people just
>want to do a beta testing, and they possibly can find some bugs in the
>source.

But it's obviously not ready yet, otherwise it would have been released.

>btw. Nick Humphries, Don't you make something for Sam in the past?

I wrote the odd program, sold some under the name Cursor Productions (a name I
now use for anything I do related to the Speccy or SAM today (see animation at
YS Rock'n'Roll Years)) - when I was writing for the SAM, sold about 20 copies of
a (looking back now, crap) disc full of programs and made the princely sum of
28p (if you ignore the 10 quid I lost on a SAM Newsdisk advert when SAMCo went
bust), which isn't bad considering I spent loads on disks, etc.

All small scale stuff, simple games and utilities. I'll be reusing the Cursor
Productions name for the Java and VRML games I'm about to write for the YSRnRY
(you're going to like these...). Unfortunately I doubt I'll be able to use that
name if I ever start up my own company as it's already used today :(

Do NOT judge my programming ability on the SAM programs! They were written about
ten years ago, since then I've got a degree and four years professional
programming experience.

Nick
(now getting the feeling of the thrill of programming again doing stuff in Java
and the like - haven't felt like that since I stopped doing stuff in SAM
BASIC....)