Dean Woodyatt wrote:
> was there a virus in the zip that i downloaded?, or is it something quirky
> that sim coupe has done to my computer?

Neither I'd imagine!  Norton AntiVirus reports the EXE as clean on my
system, and I've _never_ actually had a virus infection.

The program itself is probably one of the most self-contained ones you'll
run too.  The only files it modifies are SimCoupe.cfg and disk images that
are written to.  It doesn't update or modify any system modules or settings,
and doesn't even use the system registry.

> now I find that I can't detect my modem when i try to dial out on the
> internet.

SimCoupé currently doesn't have anything to do with the serial ports, DUN or
network settings, so I've no reason to think it's anything to do with it.

Are there any specific error messages or numbers displayed?  Is your modem
visible in Control Panel\Modems, and does the diagnostic test work?   Can
you talk to the device using HyperTerminal?

> Can't see I have two machines at home, one which went down a few days ago,
> and another which went down today

"went down"?  Are they the same symptoms on both?

, the only common executable that i have run is Sim coupe, the second worked
> when sim coupe was run the first time, but when booted up today stopped!

"stopped"?  If you post more specific details we'll try and help you track
down what's actually going on.

I'd certainly get your system checked for viruses first of all, and see
where that gets you...