Aley Keprt wrote:
> Really?
> It's called "Aley's" instead of "Alternative". I don't know
> who the f. wrote the worng name into the database.

Heh - they should have known that there are no other 'A' words! ;-)

> And I don't know why it has undersized SAD. Isn't the file
> corrupted?

My mistake - the image I got was SADv2, so it was just smaller because
it was compressed (it's confusing them having the same file extension!).
If the program could handle gzipped files it would have just worked when
I first tried it.

> > - disk format understanding for better equivalence checking
>
> In other words it must read/unpack each file into memory, and
> then test the checksum.

It needs a bit more of an abstract comparison than that...  DSK and SDF
files (say) for 80 track disks are very different internally, so the
checksum would need to include the basic disk geometry as well as the
data in each sector, and not just the raw data from an uncompressed
file.  The SimCoupé source uses a CDisk abstraction to treat them all
the same - GoodSAMC just needs to do the same for the comparisons.

> You never know what is official. It contains tens of
> "spectrum games collection" or "demos collection" images.
> That's why I wrote it is a nonsense to make database of
> diskettes.

Some will have come from a particular source, and those could be
considered the 'official' versions.  So the official MNEMOtech demos
should be the ones on Andrew's web-site, etc.

Hopefully most disks would be covered by the above, as someone will have
had to put the disk together originally.  It'll be more difficult if the
original source is no longer available, but hopefully there will still
be a common version of each.  NVG probably has a lot of misc stuff that
could be considered official, as many of us download from there...

> I think we should build a database of ROMs instead. (real
> roms - MGT Sam Basic version 1,2,3..., SamCo ROM, etc.)

That should be a lot more straight-forward to manage, as long as there
aren't copyright problems with em.  Does anyone have a collection of
them already?  (aren't there only be half a dozen at most?).