I was trying to write some Sam discs using the dreaded SAMDISK.EXE (and the
much nicer SAMDSK.EXE) on my PC at home and they kept failing  to write,
writing a few tracks and then failing or failing somewhere else in the DSK
file as it was written.

Thinking the target discs may not be formatted I went back to my Sam and
formatted them again.  Same result.

Then in a fit of madness I booted from a floppy instead of from my Atom and
formatted a disc under SamDos.

This time it worked fine, and on all subsequent discs I wrote.

Now I know that BDOS formats & verifies both sides before moving to the
next track which is handy, but why should there be any difference in the
physical format - of is it just the floppy drive in the PC is a bit too
fussy?

Dan.

Green Flag Limited, registered in England no. 1003081 registered office The
Wharf, Neville Street, Leeds  LS1 4AZ.  UK Insurance Limited is also a member
of the Green Flag group of companies and is a member of the General Insurance
Standards Council.