On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 04:26:15PM +0100, Simon Owen wrote:
> True source-level debugging is difficult without proper integration of
> the editor and assembler tools, and I'd definitely not want to edit
> source code inside SimCoupe.  Even just having my text editor alongside
> while I'm single-stepping is a huge improvement on how it used to be.

Don't all laugh at once, but I've been wondering about hooking GDB up to
some emulators, and perhaps even adding debugging support to one of the
Z80 C compilers to use with GDB.  I can imagine that this would be a
pretty big task, though.

What got me thinking about this is the Z80 target for QEMU that I've
been writing.  QEMU is an emulator that uses dynamic recompilation to
convert emulated code into machine code appropriate for the system that
it is running on.  QEMU provides support for debugging emulated machines
using GDB -- however, GDB lacks remote debugging support for the Z80.

BTW, if anyone's interested in this:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wholehog/stuart/qemu/index.html

Currently, it only emulates the 48K Spectrum, but I would welcome patches
to fix bugs or add features (such as SAM emulation :-)

(BTW, I am not especially interested in emulating undefined behaviour at
this point, nor am I interested in accurate timings.)

Cheers,
--
Stuart Brady