In an ideal world you could have :

32/8 full colour hardware sprites ...16x16 or 8x8 ? with sprite collision
detection ?
Hardware scroll vertical/horizontal
Increase in Colour palette
Hardware line interrupts (programmable) to switch palette at a fixed number
of scan lines ? No need for CPU intervention.

Even a second Video processor to give superposition, Superimposed video.
This could be something like a V9938/V9958. though this obviously would
mean quite a bit of extra circuitry, but the resulting graphics would be
superb, probably surpassing a Commodore AMIGA.

Though this all boils down to someone with the time, brains and means to
make it happen !