IRAQ NEWS, THURSDAY, AUGUST 28, 2003
I. GEORGE WILL, GETTING IRAQIS TO TAKE OVER, WASH POST, AUG 27
II. RICHARD PERLE, HAND OVER POWER TO IRAQIS ASAP, REUTERS, AUG 27
III. JAY NORDLINGER, HATING CHALABI, NRO AUG 28

George Will, in a column yesterday arguing the need to rapidly build up
Iraqi forces, noted one important reason why that process has been so slow:
the opposition of the CIA and State Department to the war itself and their
hostility "to what they called 'externals,' meaning Iraqi exiles. This
hostility expressed a perverse premise: Those who remained in Iraq under
Hussein were somehow morally superior to those who went into exile to work
for liberation."

Richard Perle, in an interview with Le Figaro, reported by Reuters
yesterday, expressed much the same view, "Of course, we haven't done
everything right. . . . Mistakes have been made and there will be others.
Our principal mistake, in my opinion, was that we didn't manage to work
closely with the Iraqis before the war, so that there was an Iraqi
opposition capable of taking charge immediately,"

Jay Nordlinger, managing editor of the National Review, in today's NRO,
wrote, "One of the vexations and heartaches of the last year or so has been
the media's hatred - that's the word for it: hatred - of Ahmad Chalabi, the
Iraqi exile leader - former exile leader, I should say - who is working to
give his country a future. This is obviously the man most prepared to
provide leadership, yet the media pour disdain on him, in imitation of the
State Department and the CIA."

Nordlinger specifically took issue with a recent Newsweek report (which very
much reflected Will's  point), "[I]t is the policy of President Bush and . .
. Condoleezza Rice that Chalabi's leadership ambitions be given no greater
weight than those of rival contenders, including some who stuck it out
inside Iraq during the decades of Saddam Hussein's rule."

Nordlinger protested, "That is a despicable shot. As I've said before, what
would these people have had Chalabi do? Remain in fascist, Baathist Iraq to
be imprisoned and killed? What good would that have done his countrymen? And
do we hold it against de Gaulle that he was abroad when France was staffed
by Nazis?"

"Iraq News" was recently considering this question: Why could the US work so
easily with the Afghan resistance to the Taliban, but has such difficulty
working with the Iraqi resistance to Saddam?  At least part of the answer
lies with the  "Arabists," who staff most of the bureaucratic positions
dealing with the Middle East.

Long ago, in the 1970s, Henry Kissinger took the Arab-Israeli conflict out
of their hands, and it never really went back to them, but they were left
with the rest of the Middle East.  The Arabists reflect the views of Arab
governments (overwhelmingly Sunni and all unelected), so they reach at any
argument to discredit: 1) an Iraqi government that would reflect the
composition of the Iraqi population (overwhelmingly NOT Sunni Arab); and 2)
an Iraqi government that would reflect popular aspirations significantly
more than do existing Arab governments.

It used to be that the pro-Israeli types working on the Middle East would
counter the Arabists, and to some extent that has happened on Iraq, but much
less so than before.  As far as "Iraq News" can understand, that is
ultimately a reflection of perspectives within Israel.  When Itzhak Rabin
was prime minister, he very deliberately kicked Iraq off the agenda (in the
belief that Saddam was defeated and sanctions took care of whatever threat
remained) and for nearly a decade, Israelis paid minimal attention to Iraq.
Of course, the war with Iraq changed that significantly, but it is difficult
to make up for a lost decade and accumulated misunderstandings.

I. GEORGE WILL, GETTING IRAQIS TO TAKE OVER
The Washington Post
Getting Iraqis to Take Over
By George F. Will
Wednesday, August 27, 2003

It is sad yet stirring to say. With a realist's melancholy sense of the
human cost of things, Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz is saying
it:

Part of the good news out of Iraq -- good news obscured by recent bad news,
and sometimes mistaken for unalloyed bad news -- is that the deaths,
including of 62 Americans, caused by hostile action in Iraq since major
combat operations ended include the deaths of almost 50 Iraqis. They died,
Wolfowitz says, as exemplary pioneers of Iraq's progress up from tyranny,
while working with coalition forces to secure public order and create civil
society.

Wolfowitz says such casualties are plain, and stirring, evidence of -- and
an unavoidable consequence of -- a desirable development; the slowly growing
willingness and capacity of Iraqis to take responsibility for their nation's
recovery. The capture last week of "Chemical Ali," Saddam Hussein's cousin,
suggests that U.S. commanders in Iraq are receiving intelligence from Iraqis
willing to take risky initiatives for a better tomorrow.

All this is pertinent to the boiling debate in Washington -- Wolfowitz
insists that it is much more a debate here than in Baghdad -- about whether
the United States needs more troops in Iraq. He says the real need is for
more Iraqi-staffed instruments of social control -- troops and police. Hence
plans to send 28,000 Iraqis to Hungary for police training.

When some persons in or close to the administration argue that U.S. forces
in Iraq are sufficient, they really seem to be arguing that existing forces
should have been sufficient. They mean the forces there now would be
sufficient, if . . .

If, in the run-up to war, the CIA and State Department had been less opposed
to the war, and less hostile to what they called "externals," meaning Iraqi
exiles. This hostility expressed a perverse premise: Those who remained in
Iraq under Hussein were somehow morally superior to those who went into
exile to work for liberation. Absent hostility toward "externals," more
Iraqis competent to work on public safety and civil administration would
have arrived immediately behind coalition troops.

If the CIA had more accurately anticipated the continued opposition of
Baathist remnants and had been less optimistic about the postwar performance
of the Iraqi police, the problems faced now might have been substantially
reduced.

If Saddam Hussein's army had stood and fought instead of melting away, more
of the bitter-end resisters of the occupation would have been killed.

Yes, and as the old saying goes, "If 'ifs' and 'buts' were candies and nuts,
we'd all have a wonderful Christmas." The stark fact is that U.S. forces
around the world are stretched thin by today's tempo of operations. What
U.S. forces in Iraq need most are Iraqi forces to free U.S. forces to do
what they are trained to do and do superbly.

Wolfowitz says that when U.S. soldiers guarding a hospital are killed by a
hand grenade dropped from that building, one question is: Why are Americans
being used to guard buildings? He has a robust -- even Rumsfeldian --
dislike of "highly trained American soldiers doing stationary guard duty."
The proper use of U.S. troops is, he says, not to guard pipelines but to use
"actionable intelligence and pursue killers."

Gen. Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, referring to Gen.
John Abizaid, commander of the forces in Iraq, says, "If he wants more
troops, he can have more troops." Often when asked if he needs more, Abizaid
has said, "There's a lot of things that we need." But he also says: The
number of "boots per square inch" is not the issue. The issue is
intelligence that maximizes the efficacy of the troops there. Furthermore,
Abizaid says, "There's a downside where you increase your lines of
communication, you increase . . . the energy that you have to expend just to
guard yourself."

Still, the elemental problem is that decades of Baathist rule crippled
Iraq's infrastructure -- Myers visited a Baghdad hospital unimproved in a
half-century -- and reduced Iraq's population to a dust of individuals,
unpracticed in individual initiative and social cooperation.

Abizaid briskly defines the modest, nuts-and-bolts but potentially momentous
development that must happen soon: "We've got to do a lot more to bring an
Iraqi face" -- beyond the nearly 60,000 Iraqis already under arms in
reconstituted security forces -- "to the security establishments throughout
Iraq very quickly." As Wolfowitz says, the basic U.S. strategy is to "get us
into the background before we become the issue."

II. RICHARD PERLE, HAND OVER POWER TO IRAQIS ASAP
Perle Cites Errors in Iraq, Urges Power Transfer
Wed August 27, 2003

PARIS (Reuters) - Richard Perle, a leading Pentagon adviser and architect of
the U.S. war to topple Saddam Hussein, said the United States had made
mistakes in Iraq and that power should be handed over to the Iraqis as fast
as possible.

In an interview with the Le Figaro daily newspaper to be published Thursday,
Perle defended the U.S.-led war in Iraq and restated his belief that France
had been wrong to lead international opposition to the conflict.

"Of course, we haven't done everything right," said Perle, according to the
French text of the interview. "Mistakes have been made and there will be
others.

"Our principal mistake, in my opinion, was that we didn't manage to work
closely with the Iraqis before the war, so that there was an Iraqi
opposition capable of taking charge immediately," he said.

"Today, the answer is to hand over power to the Iraqis as soon as possible,"
he added.

Perle resigned in March as chairman of the Pentagon's Defense Policy Board
over alleged conflicts of interest, but remains an influential figure in
neo-conservative circles.

He also renewed criticism of President Jacques Chirac's refusal to back the
war. Chirac wanted more time for U.N. inspectors to search for any banned
weapons.

The United States and Britain said Saddam had deliberately foiled the
inspections and failed to provide evidence that it had scrapped its
chemical, biological and nuclear programs.

"You have to understand that since September 11, the United States cannot
allow the most terrible weapons in the world to be in the hands of the worst
regimes in the world," Perle told Le Figaro, referring to the 2001 hijacked
airliner attacks on U.S. landmarks that killed some 3,000 people.

Washington and London used the weapons charge, dismissed by Iraq as a
pretext to wage war, to justify military intervention against Saddam. To
date, no such weapons have been found.

III. JAY NORDLINGER, HATING CHALABI
National Review Online
by Jay Nordlinger, National Review Managing Editor
August 28, 2003, 9:00 a.m.

Hating Chalabi, being charmed by "Fidel," celebrating a glorious couple -
and more

One of the vexations and heartaches of the last year or so has been the
media's hatred - that's the word for it: hatred - of Ahmad Chalabi, the
Iraqi exile leader - former exile leader, I should say - who is working to
give his country a future. This is obviously the man most prepared to
provide leadership, yet the media pour disdain on him, in imitation of the
State Department and the CIA. You see, Chalabi is known as the Defense
Department's man - Rummy's man, Wolfowitz's man - and anything DoD related
is anathema to many people: at State as much as on the op-ed page of the New
York Times (is there a difference?). In truth, Chalabi is no one's man but
his own. Those who know him, and have dealt with him, vouch for his
independence and determination, no matter what else they may think of him.

I was reminded of the Chalabi Issue when perusing Newsweek (which is a
useful thing to do now and then, provided your stomach is strong enough). As
I saw it, the magazine was trying to score a point against Chalabi because
he met in Tehran with government officials there. Chalabi assured the
Iranians that, as far as he was concerned, post-Saddam Iraq would not become
a base of operations against Iran, or against any other neighbors. This is
of some concern to the wicked regime of the mullahs, because Iraq made war
against them, for many years. (Alas, at the end of it, both Saddam and the
mullahs were still standing.) Chalabi was perfectly right to speak as he
did - Realpolitik and all that.

Okay, now get this: Newsweek's report ended, "[I]t is the policy of
President Bush and . . . Condoleezza Rice that Chalabi's leadership
ambitions be given no greater weight than those of rival contenders,
including some who stuck it out inside Iraq during the decades of Saddam
Hussein's rule."

That is a despicable shot. As I've said before, what would these people have
had Chalabi do? Remain in fascist, Baathist Iraq to be imprisoned and
killed? What good would that have done his countrymen? And do we hold it
against de Gaulle that he was abroad when France was staffed by Nazis? (No,
we hold other things against him.) This piece was signed by Mark Hosenball.
I wonder what danger he has faced in his own life. I doubt he has the
standing to scoff at Ahmad Chalabi, who has lived a life more perilous than
anyone should have to endure. Hosenball - or his editor or whoever wrote
those words - implied that Chalabi was some kind of coward for failing to
"stick it out."

Shame, shame.  . . .