Guys, is this an expected behavior? Unless you have WINS
up (which causes issues with multihomed machines), one
seemingly cannot synchronize browse lists across subnets.

--dave

Pedro Guedes wrote:
> Browsing across subnets is well documented on the 2 main books
> about Samba (the o´reilly one and the John D. Blair older
> one - the first of  all).
>
> I usually do not use WINS, even on W2K because
> it does not work correctly on multihomed servers.
> It binds on only one interface (the primary one if one can state
> correctly which one it is - on 99% of the cases the one on the
> lowest PCI slot).
> One can read a couple of white papers from microsoft stating
> just that, I think this is due to the NetBIOS name coupled
> to the machine in contrast to the name coupled to the IP
> interface, even in the NeBT world.
>
> What I tried to do is make samba win browse master elections
> (in subnets away from the subnet where  the PDC resides - it
> always wins and without any local NT4 Backup Domain Controlller
>  or W2K Domain controller) based on the idea of  the Unix server
> being always on-line should always take the role despite the
> presence of W98 & W2K Professional always coming and going.

> The idea is to change browse lists with the domain master
> browser (the PDC or FSMO on W2K) so that browsing accross
> subnets works for everybody.
>
> In fact Samba becomes the master browser on the LAN due to
> higher values on election based on the setting "os level".
> It wins over W2K Professional (the highest Windows on the LAN).
>
> But ....
> Despite settings of  "remote announce" ,"remote browse sync",
>  entries like 192.168.5.20    ISLA#1B     in lmhosts
> to talk to the PDC/FSMO (I known it says it only works with
> other samba server) what the Domain Master Browser receives
> is only the samba server itself, no neighbours listed at all.
>
> I have, since the early samba releases, noted this behaviour.
>
> So, what I do is make W2K Professional force and win browse
> master election when it boots.
> (look at HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\ for
> the values
> MaintainServerList - yes
> IsDomaiMasterBrowser - yes
> This way browse lists always propagate correctly to the
> Domain Master Browser.
>
> This samba behaviour (or lack of it) is quite unfortunate
> since the W2K Professionals are always coming and going making
> subnets browsing quite unstable.
>
> It is strange that the samba servers have such poor behaviour
> despite their phenomenal growth in the integration
> Unix/Windows arena.
>
> A little bit more could be written about this.
> If you have any sugestions they would be welcome.
> This matter truly deserves an article somewhere. In O´reilly
> web pages, on Linux/Windows Magazines.
> Maybe a better writer than me could write a paper on it.
>

> Pedro Guedes
> > PORTUGAL
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sun Microsystems DCMO          | some people and astonish the rest.
Toronto, Ontario               |
(905) 415-2849 or x52849       | [EMAIL PROTECTED]