Good to know, and your description fits my understanding of this issue and reproduces my scenario well. Basically all I have to to render the server completely unresponsive (even basic command line stuff) is take _any_ domain offline.
This seems to mean winbind's caching is not behaving as designed.

François Legal wrote:
I don't know if it helps, but I ran through similar problems with one
samba DC trusting another domain connected via a VPN.
Each time the VPN went down, I had to hard reboot the server (no I did not
have an open session all the time to kill winbindd).

As far as I remember, this was with self built versions 3.2.4 through
3.2.6.
After that, I decided to surrender with trusting another domain with
samba.

François