hi bradley,

first off - thanks for the help.

Bradley W. Langhorst wrote:

I'm saying that your samba server may be correctly configured...
however in order to switch a computer from workgroup to domain mode you first need to leave the GENWAX.TEST workgroup join the "ICANTTHINKOFANAME" workgroup
then join the GENWAX.TEST domain...

ok - did that.  joined workgroup WORKGROUP.
rebooted (what else).
then attempted to change to domain GENWAX.TEST.
i received the same error message as previously.

it's a windows problem.

that's an understatement.

brad